Home /

New Immigration Rules for Us Citizenship

If you served in the U.S. Army for a period of time during the war, you can apply at any time and do not need to hold a green card. You (or your military spouse) must not have been physically present in the United States (including U.S. territories) or aboard a U.S. ship until you enlisted, re-enlisted, renewed, or accepted into the military. You do not need to have held a green card for a certain number of years (if you have one) or have physically lived in the United States for a certain number of months before applying for citizenship. If the embassy or consulate has not issued an RCRA and you are 18 years of age or older, learn how to get a citizenship certificate. This document proves your U.S. citizenship and can be obtained from the United States. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). If your birth was registered before your 18th birthday, the embassy or consulate issued your parents with a document proving your U.S. citizenship.

This document is known as the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA or Form FS-240). Learn how to request copies, additions, or corrections of a consular birth report abroad from the U.S. Department of State (DOS). If you hold a green card without special circumstances, you can apply for U.S. citizenship at least five years after you receive your green card. You must also have physically lived in the United States for at least 30 months (two and a half years) of those five years. Once naturalized, your children automatically receive citizenship, even if they were born abroad. If your child was born outside the United States, be sure to inform the U.S.

Embassy or Consulate. If you`ve been abroad for a year or more, USCIS will automatically assume that you`ve renounced your permanent residency in the United States. You will disown your United States. Applying for citizenship, and you`ll have to wait before you can apply again: A licensed lawyer trained in citizenship issues can help you with questions about your situation. A local bar can often give a good recommendation. Their criminal past is closely scrutinized. If you have committed a crime that could deport you, such as immigration fraud, drug addiction, or domestic violence, it is especially important to seek legal help before applying for naturalization. Yes, naturalization is the process by which an immigrant becomes a U.S. citizen after meeting certain requirements, while citizenship applies to anyone who is a U.S. citizen, whether born in the U.S.

or outside the U.S. Many countries – for example, Australia, Canada and the United Kingdom – also allow you to be a national of another country. However, India, Japan, and a number of others require you to renounce your citizenship in these countries as soon as you become Americans. President Biden sends a bill to Congress from day one to restore American humanity and values to our immigration system. The act offers people who work hard and enrich our communities every day and who have lived here for years, if not decades, the opportunity to become citizens. The legislation modernizes our immigration system and prioritizes keeping families together, growing our economy, managing the border responsibly through smart investments, addressing the root causes of migration from Central America, and ensuring the United States remains a safe haven for those fleeing persecution. The legislation will stimulate our economy while protecting every worker. The law creates a well-deserved path to citizenship for our immigrant neighbors, colleagues, community members, community leaders, friends and loved ones — including dreamers and important workers who risked their lives to serve and protect American communities.

Dual citizenship (or dual citizenship) means that a person can be a citizen of the United States and another country at the same time. U.S. law does not require a person to choose one citizenship or another. In this section you will find a general description of the naturalization application procedure. Before applying, make sure you meet all admission requirements and see if you qualify for exceptions and accommodations.